Salem Quarterly Meeting (Eastern Massachusetts, USA)
Of New England Yearly Meeting
April 23, 2017
New England Yearly Meeting passed this statement on August 8, 2017 at its annual sessions (with several minor revisions).
Responding to the Spirit, as reflected in the Friends Meeting at Cambridge (MA) statement regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict (January 11, 2016), Salem Quarterly Meeting united on the following statement and call to action:
The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) testimony on peace, justice, and nonviolence is based in our experience of the divine in all of creation and within all persons. Thus, we are deeply troubled by the suffering and injustice caused by the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and we are concerned that our government perpetuates that violence by continuing to send billions of dollars of military aid to the region.
We ask that we as a nation:
- Cease sending United States military aid and selling weapons to the entire Middle East.
- Continue diplomatic efforts with all parties and remain in dialogue even with those who have acted violently.
- Join the international court system and accept its jurisdiction.
We ask that we as the world’s people:
- Work with the United Nations Security Council to end military aid and arms sales from all outside countries to all parties in this conflict.
- Support the United Nations efforts to bring justice, peace, security, and reconciliation to all parties in the conflict.
- Take measures to assure that international laws are applied universally.
We ask that we as individuals and as communities:
- Support and learn from the many organizations that bring Israelis and Palestinians together for justice and peacemaking.
- Examine how anti-Semitism, racism, and privilege affect our understanding of the conflict.